Do you need help with your CDR? We have decided to make available our experience in writing our own CDRs (and our friend's) to YOU.

If you are of engineering background and your skills assessment requires you to submit a competency demonstration report to Engineer's Australia, and you don't know how to start. Perhaps you have started your preparation and may need someone with an experience to review your work and give recommendations on how to further improve it, then this might just be an opportunity for you.

Please check this blog regularly for service and service fee updates.Learn more about this service.

What to expect during the IELTS EXAM

I took a whole day time-off from work so I can focus myself on the exam.  The exam was to start at 8am and I arrived relatively early at 7am in the test center.  Not surprised at all, the venue's waiting area was packed with examinees looking for their candidate numbers
and seat assignments.  I looked up for my number and seat assignment as well and got myself comfortable while waiting for us to enter in the test area.

I brought with me the ID I used during application, cellphone, water, some candies, extra pencils ( brought 6 sharpened mongol 2 pencils), an eraser, and a sharpener.  No bags and cellphones allowed inside the exam room, good thing IDP IELTS provided a counter where you can leave your belongings.  They didn't provide tags or numbers that identifies your ownership with your belongings, so you take the risk.  Do note however that this was the system in my test center, may be different in others.

The sequence of exams is not given prior to the test date.  We were only informed when everybody was inside the test room and seated.  Instructions were given between 8.30-9am for 15 minutes.  We were not allowed to take bathroom breaks while instructions were given.  That means, only when the test has begun, you can go to the toilet do your thing.  So if you do go to the bathroom, make sure to budget your time well.

Our test sequence for the day was Reading as first, then Writing, and Listening last.  There will be time given for instructions for every test type.  Questionnaires were given prior to the instructions, however, we were only allowed to open the instructions and examples page.  A total of 1 hour for the Reading test.

During the Writing test, we were given an hour to write a letter and an essay (as I took the General exam it would be a little different for the Academic type of exam).  Since I shared one big round table along with 6 more people, you have to expect some shakes on the table as others may write and erase forcefully.  If you get irritated with that, be careful not to talk or give gestures or signals that may be misunderstood as cheating.  You don't want to forfeit your exam.  So If you can, for just an hour, ignore it and focus your thoughts to make the best letter and essay as you can.  

Finally, the Listening test.  I did pray a lot that I be seated next to the speaker system, and I did!  A big loud speaker was just behind me.  I was able to hear everything clearly.  We completed the test in 40 minutes time.

After the test, get to know your seatmates, I learned that I was the only technical person on the round table.  Mostly were nurses and 2 were teachers.

My Speaking test was scheduled on another day on the same venue.  On the day of the test, I came in early, checked in with the IDP IELTS incharge.  There were 3 examiners during my exam, each of them on separate rooms.  So examinees were on a queue according to schedule.  As usual, no other things allowed in the test room, only yourself and the same identification during your application.  The test took 15 minutes to complete and time and pace is controlled by the examiner.  There's not much distraction during the test, so you won't have any problem focusing on giving the best answer you could give.

While writing this post, I was too tempted to fill-in some tips, but that's a different story.  The IELTS is a significant experience in itself, though as much as I'd like to share it now, it will take me great inspiration and nudging to get it written for everybody.

How's your IELTS experience?  Do our experiences share some similarities and differences?  Leave your comments below and share this post to your friends.  Sharing is a must! =)

7 comments:

  1. IELTS is not easy. Only students comprehension and analytical skills are important. Constant practice and confidence are needed for the IELTS. Review and train harder since the test fee is not that cheap. It is need to give it all.

    Difference among TOEFL and TOEIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. IELTS is very important for those people who need to Study In UK . IELTS test methodology is really awesome. I agree that one should pass this test to be able to communicate in UK English.

    ielts Essay Writing Tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. IELTS is a test which needs smart work rather than hard work. Creativity , concentration and focus are core tools to pass this test besides english

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is difficult to predict about success without knowing more about language performance in the individual sections and English level generally.

    categories of toefl

    ReplyDelete
  5. IELTS is very important for those people who need to Study In UK . IELTS test methodology is really awesome. I agree that one should pass this test to be able to communicate in UK English. 

    english vocabulary

    ReplyDelete