Do you need help with your CDR? We have decided to make available our experience in writing our own CDRs (and our friend's) to YOU.

If you are of engineering background and your skills assessment requires you to submit a competency demonstration report to Engineer's Australia, and you don't know how to start. Perhaps you have started your preparation and may need someone with an experience to review your work and give recommendations on how to further improve it, then this might just be an opportunity for you.

Please check this blog regularly for service and service fee updates.Learn more about this service.

How to get an NBI Clearance: My recent experience and how I should have done it quicker and cheaper.

An Australian Skilled-Independent Immigrant has to submit a penal clearance certificate for every country that they have stayed for a minimum of 12 months in total.  99% of my time, I am in the Philippines, so I only have to submit an NBI clearance.


Firstly, I am annoyed by long queues.  And almost everybody's rule of thumb for queuing in an NBI office or renewal branch is to be the earliest possible.  Robinson's Cybergate in Cebu had an NBI renewal branch, and the never-the-early-bird that I am, I arrived half past 10am and they can only accommodate 200.  A security guard, trying to be as discrete as he can, offered me to come back around 4pm when all renewals are
completed.  He said, he knows someone who can process my clearance even after office hours.  He didn't mention how much.  Instead of waiting for 7 hours, I went to the main office where I think I can get an "expedited processing" assistance.


So I went, and stood outside the canteen looking for help.  But nobody came to me with an offer.  After 15 minutes, I thought I'd come back next time and be early.  Barely 5 meters from the gate, a gentleman approached me to help.  I guess he knows I gave up to wait since I brought with me no green paper.  The gentleman guided me to a nearby canteen outside the NBI office, he took out an application form and to my surprise it had a priority number on it and a date.  I thought, this guy must have connections inside.  So I filled out the form, he took my details, and noticed he spoke on his mobile phone and passed on my information.  He gave me a chair just outside the canteen to wait.  5 minutes later, he asked me to wait in a window where an applicant's biometrics are taken.  Another 5 minutes later, I was called, my picture and finger prints taken, and my records had a hit.  Somebody with my profile or name had a criminal record.  I know it takes 2 two weeks to get a hit cleared, but I don't want to go back for it.  So I tried to push the envelope a little further and offered  an "expediting fee", but the gentleman inside the office insisted on two weeks.  

So I left, and the gentleman approached me, I told him my record had a hit, and he said for a little more extra, I can get it cleared in less than 1 hour.  I didn't want to spend more on him.  I already gave him 500.  I thought these two are trying to rip-me-off.  I calmed myself and insisted to return after two weeks.

Luckily, a week later, my VISA reached a case officer's desk and I had to submit to a medical assessment.  The clinic was a few meters away from the NBI office, so I called the gentleman who took my biometrics, gave him my official receipt number hoping he could verify that my record was cleared.  But the line was choppy, so I didin't hear him respond to my question if I could drop by the office.

I went instead.  I gave my receipt to the Releasing window, and to my surprise, my NBI clearance is being handed out to me.  I have it now on my hand within 1 week, not two.

The next day, I came to work and shared my experience with friends.  I was told, it would have been quicker and cheaper if I came an hour or two before the office closes at 4pm.  Well, this is why this post is important to you, if you don't want to wake up early, and take a leave from work to get a clearance, follow my friend's advice.  

Now, share this post on your facebook wall.  This might be of help to somebody close to you.

4 comments:

  1. Corruption to the max. You are disgusting corrupted individual.

    Please don't bring that disgusting attitude in Australia.

    Aussies don't like tolerating corruption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corruption to the max. You are disgusting corrupted individual.

    Please don't bring that disgusting attitude in Australia.

    Aussies don't like tolerating corruption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, it was a mistake. It is this system in the Philippines that motivated me to move elsewhere. I apreciate your effort of leaving a comment but he way you delivered it does show a lot about your wealth of vocabulary and expertise in using it.

      Mind you, i am grateful that the public service system in Australia is very efficient that no one will ever think of any means to bypass or expedite it. So i am grateful to be here in Australia.

      Cheers, JPZ

      Delete
  3. Well there's an easier and more honest way to get an NBI clearance here in Cebu. In my recent experience about a few months ago, I went to J Center mall where there's a satellite office for the NBI. The technique is to go there in the afternoon around 2-3pm (they close at 5pm) because in the morning there are lots of people. When i went there, around 3pm, it only took me around 5mins or less because there was no line at all.

    FYI for your Cebuano readers. :)

    ReplyDelete